Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chocolate Rocambole

I love Sundays. I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of having church at 1pm. I just feel like it cuts my day in half. Like we wake up looking forward to church, and then only get home when its already dark out. Well anyways, I woke up and started getting ready to blow dry my hair, when my blow dryer seriously fell on in the sink full of water. I've seen horrible things happen in movies where all the lights get turned off and the person dies because of the shock. You would think I learned? NOPE. I stuck my hand right in the sink to turn off the blow dryer. Tyler was still asleep so I didn't want to him wake him up, but I was shaking so bad I had to go tell him what just happened. He hugged me and kept saying " Honey, something bad good have happened" and "I'm just glad you're okay." I absolutely love my husband and I am so grateful for his love. He gets so worried about me, and is so extremely patient with me. I'm one lucky lucky girl. 

Today I made a Brazilian dessert called ROCAMBOLE. It's so delicious! 


  • 6 eggs room temperature
  • 7T sugar
  • 5T cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1t baking powder

Ingredients for the filling:

  • 1 can of condensed milk l
  • 3T cocoa powder
  • Chocolate sprinkles to decorate

In a small bowl mix the egg whites until they are peaked and then set aside. In another small bowl mix the egg yolks with the sugar until you get a creamy mixture. Then add the cocoa powder and the flour slowly. I sifted my flour so that the cake comes out soft. (My sister taught me that!) Then you want to fold in the egg whites into this mixture. Slowly with a spatula mix it in, if you mix too rough the cake will be dry instead of soft. Spray a cookie sheet with butter and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. I used the 15.25X 10.25X.75 cookie sheet.

Once it's ready you want to damp a CLEAN washcloth and flip the cake onto it. The humidity from the cloth helps the rolling of the cake without it shattering. I sprinkled sugar on my cloth so that when I rolled it the sugar would penetrate on the cake. Just a thought =)



  So it should look like this once rolled. While that's off to the side we can start our filling and topping. In a medium saucepan pour a can of condensed milk and 1/4 cup milk or heavy whipping cream. Add in the 3tablespoons of cocoa powder. You want a liquid-y substance, but not too liquid-y. I think the whole stirring process is about 5-8 minutes. Once it's done unroll your cake and pour some of that deliciousness in the cake. I only used half of mine for the middle so that I could also use it as a topping. My sister has this awesome white topping that she makes from scratch, maybe I'll try it next time. But that's it, with of course sprinkles on top. I love it*

No comments:

Post a Comment